Wednesday, December 28, 2011

REFLECTION OF A SEPTUAGENARIAN


As the year 2011 ends and the spirit of Christmas wanes, Lolo Ome’s reflection of life begins and the spirit of indebtedness in life grows. Foremost is this borrowed span of three-scores, a decade and a couple of years, a month and ten days of my very own life this 28th December 2011. And yet, all I can whisper is thank you Lord for this and all.

The very essence of the season’s spirit is plain and simple sharing His blessings. Bereft of material things, all I can give away is my simple advocacy of thanksgiving and praise. The advocacy of giving thanks to the Lord for whatever we have in life; for being a human being, alive, now, and He only knows until when. A simple thanks to our Creator upon waking up in the morning; or anytime, anyplace, anyhow. Just say “Thank you God” and I believe that would be a good start; and giving thanks to the Lord for whatever else you have in mind.

This had long been my personal commitment since I received a very touchy message forwarded via E-Mail 12 April 1999 after more than a decade overseas foreign contract in the desert of Saudi Arabia then. Below is the detailed descriptive talk-to-me message for us to ponder.

“As you got up this morning, I watched you and hoped you would talk to me, even if it was just a few words, asking my opinion or thanking me for something good that happened in your life yesterday – but I noticed you were too busy trying to find the right outfit to put on and wear to work.

“I waited again. When you ran around the house getting ready I knew there would be a few minutes for you to stop and say hello, but you were too busy. At one point you have to wait 15 minutes with nothing to do except sit in a chair. Then I saw you spring to your feet. I thought you wanted to talk to me but you ran to the phone and called a friend to get the latest gossip.

“I watched as you went to work and I waited patiently all day long. With all your activities I guess you were too busy to say anything to me.

“I noticed that before lunch you looked around, maybe you felt embarrassed to talk to me, and why you didn’t bow your head. You glanced at three or four tables over and you noticed some of your friends talking to me briefly before they ate, but you didn’t. That’s okay. There is still more time left, and I have hope that you talk to me yet.

“You went home and it seems as if you had lots of thing to do. After a few of them were done, you turned on the TV, I don’t know if you like TV or not, or just about anything goes. You spend a lot of time each day in front of it, not thinking about anything – just enjoying the show. I waited patiently again as you watched the TV and ate. Bed time I guess you felt too tired. That’s okay because you may not realize that I am always there for you.

“After you said goodnight to your family you plopped into bed and fell asleep in no time. I’ve got patience more than you will ever know.

“I even want to teach you how to be patient with others as well. I love you so much that I wait everyday for a nod, prayer or thought or a thankful part of your heart. It is hard to have a one-sided conversation.

“Well you are getting up again and once again I will wait with nothing but love for you hoping that today you will give me some time.

“Have a nice day!

“Your friend,

“GOD”

To begin among us in this habit of thanksgiving and praise, Lolo Ome invites each visitor of this blog spot to form a circle of 12 buddies. Let us organize each of us into a group of 12 thanks-givers and promote the habit of thanksgiving and praise. Each group you may call “K-12,” “KA-DOCENA,” “KA-CIRCULO DOCE,” or whatever you wish to name your group. Ang panawagang ito ay nakapaloob sa “Labing-dalawang Katagang Pilipino na nagsisimula sa letrang K.”

Basahin at namnamin ang kahulugan ng bawat salitang may K. Ito ang siyang timbulan natin na magbubuklod sa bawat grupo upang palaganapin ang Advocacy ng pasasalamat sa Kaitaasan at gumawa ng mabuti para sa kapuwa-tao. Narito ang 12 K.

Kumpolan ng Kamag-anakan, Kaibigan, Kapanalig sa Kapaniwalaang Kabutihang Kalooban ang Katugunan upang bigyang Kapasalamatan Kalinga at Kapasiyahan ng Kaitaasan.

These are Pilipino endearing words put together, the very meaning of which should encourage every God-fearing individual to do good things to fellowmen, regardless of faith or status in life. And be the example of the “Good Samaritan.” That is the essence of this advocacy. The advocacy of every group we organize. “K-12,” K-Docena,” Ka-Circulo Doce,” or whatever.

Go on, propagate and practice our advocacy; make this a habit in your everyday life. God Bless us all! Hayo na at palaganapin natin ang panawagang ito. Patnubayan tayong lahat ng Diyos sa Kaitaasan, sa ngalan ng anak niyang si Jesus. In the name of Jesus, amen!

Nagpupugay!


3 comments:

westsideafrica said...

Thanks for reminding us to always remember and praise our only creator. And aim very thankful to God because he gave me a wonderful dad.

We love you Tatay

demeter said...

Lolo Ome! Si francis po ito viewing from Tokyo. We met 2 days ago sa Nagpala Reunion. Mom ko si Zenaida who was the daughter of Nieves.

I'm so glad to have met you. Who was that relative we had na sabi po ninyo na Pirate? That really caught my imagination. I hope you can publish that speech you made about our Nagpala history here in your blog.

Thank you po and more power to you!

Lolo Ome said...

Francis, sorry for over 5 yrs delayed response; laptop/connectivity problems, etc. Besidesup to now Lolo can't post anything new; can open blog anytime. Pls send ur email address to me.